Chef PotPie's Note:
This recipe is very easy and big on taste. It's pretty, too! I served it as part of a light cocktail menu and everyone loved it, but it would be nice as part of a light supper also. If you want meat in it, (as my husband did), a few slices of Dry Italian Salami go as if it were originally in the recipe. I took this from my local newspaper, which surprises me sometimes with something like this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large walla walla onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon herbes de provence (optional)
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on packaging (or make your own)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded (or Swiss)
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, well drained, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fire-roasted red bell pepper, chopped and well-drained
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, finely chopped
- 1 egg white, beaten
- fresh thyme sprig
- 1In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and golden brown. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in vinegar and herbes de Provence and cook 3 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oven to 375 degrees F. Unroll pie crust on ungreased nonstick cookie sheet. Lightly brush mustard over crust.
- 3Sprinkle 2/3 cup of the cheese over center of crust to within 1¼ inches of edge of crust. Spread onion evenly over cheese; top with artichokes and red peppers. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon chopped thyme and remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Fold 1¼-inch edge of crust over filling, pleating crust as necessary. Brush egg white over crust edge. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool 15 minutes.
- 4To serve, cut into 8 wedges. Garnish with thyme sprigs. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bistro-Style Artichoke and Onion Galette
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.4
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 14.8 mg
- Sodium 160.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 6.7 g