Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Store-bought refrigerated pizza dough (Pillsbury brand) works well for this or use your own favorite recipe, this can also be baked in a 9 or 10-inch pie plate instead of a baking pan, don't try to bake this in a regular pizza pan the cream mixture will run over the sides! I use roasted garlic oil in place of the olive oil, if you have any use it for this and just omit the fresh garlic or use both, or you can use roasted fresh garlic added to the onion mixture. If you have a light coloured metal baking dish, this would be the best to use in place of glass as the crust will bake out better. Prep time does not include make the pizza dough, cooking time is only for the last 15 minutes of cooking, I have made this many times, it's very good!
- 1 -3 onion (halved then thinly sliced, or use as many as desired)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (use 3 or 4 for extra heat)
- seasoning salt or salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups gruyere or 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 prepared pizza crust (large enough to fit a 9-inch metal square baking dish)
- Fit he prepared pizza dough in the baking dish to cover bottom and halfway up the side (if you find that your pizza dough is not stretching and shaping cover and let rest for 5 minutes then shape again).
- Set oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bake the crust for 8 minutes or until a golden brown; remove to cool and set aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter with olive oil over medium heat; add in the onion slices and jalapeno pepper with sugar, cook stirring with a wooden spoon for about 20-25 minutes, adding in the garlic the last 5 minutes of cooking, season mixture with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Spread the onion mixture on top of the pizza crust.
- In a bowl whisk egg then add in half and half cream, then the shredded cheese; pour evenly over the onion mixture.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool slightly before slicing.
This was so decedant. We loved it. Made just as written and came out perfect. I used 3 jalepno's and brown sugar . The flavor was perfect. I already have requests to make this again. Thanks Kitten
I think this pizza has a lot of potential...but there are a few things that just didn't work for me. I was slicing up my onions and after two thought that I had plenty -- there wasn't enough room in my pan for one more. So I just used 2, and I used 3 jalapenos instead of 1-2. My husband and I both like onions, but this was just too much. I would maybe do 1 onion, if I would try this again. Also, even though I upped the jalapeno amount, we still couldn't even tell there were any in it. I'm sorry Kit, but this just didn't work out for us as it is written. The cheese/half&half/egg part was very good though, we liked that part a lot. Made for Photo Tag.