Recipe by Sherri35
This chicken can be done in the oven or it is excellent in the slow cooker also. The sauce is so delicious and I suggest serving it over pasta, noodles, baked potatoes or with some good French bread.
Top Review by Malriah
A very simple recipe to make. Not alot of ingredients to confuse the issue and very simple but good flavors. I cut the thyme back to 1/2 teaspoon because I felt that if I used the whole amount listed, the flavor would be overpowering. I am glad I did. I am not a huge fan of thyme but feel that it has a subtle flavor that goes well in this dish. I also thickened up the sauce a little with some cornstarch and served it over egg noodles. A really great weeknight supper! Thanks!
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can campbell condensed French onion soup
Directions See How It's Made
- If cooking on stove top: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In an ovenproof skillet, melt butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper (to taste).
- Panfry the chicken until both sides are golden but the chicken is not cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet, add the tomatoes and thyme to skillet and cook until the sauce has reduced a bit, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the soup and cook another 4 minutes, seasoning with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, and place in oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- If using slow cooker: Saute' the chicken breasts as above, place them in the slow cooker, add the sauce ingredients and cook on high for 3 hours or so.