Recipe by KitchenMistress
VERY INEXPENSIVE.... AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS....PREPARES IN 20 MINUTES! My sister makes this amazing recipe for large and small crowds. For such a simple dish, it always impresses. My husband does not like black beans... but he ate this to be polite and LOVES it now! My children were forced to try it and now ask for it by name.
Top Review by SouperChef
The family enjoyed this recipe so much! For something so simple and inexpensive, it tastes like a million bucks and comfort food all at once! I made it as suggested and it was really great. Gonna check out more of KitchenMistress' recipes.
- 1 (28 ounce) can black beans (with juice)
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 -2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- corn tortilla, grilled
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced small
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly combine tomatoes, olive oil, onion, basil, pepper, and 1 - 2 T salt. Set aside for flavors to meld. Stir occasionally. (Note: The tomato mixture should be quite salty - it will meld down with the beans and unsalted rice and be just perfect!)
- Place beans and juice in a pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium and cover. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Combine rice, water, dried onion. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of the beans and smash with a fork. Stir into pot of beans to thicken remaining beans.
- Heat dry skillet and flip corn tortillas to warm and soft.(cast iron skillet works best). Roll warm tortillas and place in a basket with towel or a tortilla server to keep them warm and moist.
- Dish rice into individual bowls. Top with a healthy serving of beans and as much of the tomato salsa as you like. Do not pre-mix before serving. Serve with tortillas. Scoop the rice and beans into/onto the tortilla and enjoy.
- Leftovers make a GREAT next day lunch!