1/1 Photo of Bistro Black Beans & Rice
VERY INEXPENSIVE.... AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS....PREPARES IN 20 MINUTES! My sister makes this amazing recipe for large and small crowds. For such a simple dish, it always impresses. My husband does not like black beans... but he ate this to be polite and LOVES it now! My children were forced to try it and now ask for it by name.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (28 ounce) can black beans (with juice)
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 -2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- corn tortilla, grilled
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced small
- salt and pepper
- 1Thoroughly combine tomatoes, olive oil, onion, basil, pepper, and 1 - 2 T salt. Set aside for flavors to meld. Stir occasionally. (Note: The tomato mixture should be quite salty - it will meld down with the beans and unsalted rice and be just perfect!)
- 2Place beans and juice in a pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium and cover. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 3Combine rice, water, dried onion. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- 4Remove 1 cup of the beans and smash with a fork. Stir into pot of beans to thicken remaining beans.
- 5Heat dry skillet and flip corn tortillas to warm and soft.(cast iron skillet works best). Roll warm tortillas and place in a basket with towel or a tortilla server to keep them warm and moist.
- 6Dish rice into individual bowls. Top with a healthy serving of beans and as much of the tomato salsa as you like. Do not pre-mix before serving. Serve with tortillas. Scoop the rice and beans into/onto the tortilla and enjoy.
- 7Leftovers make a GREAT next day lunch!
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bistro Black Beans & Rice
Serving Size: 1 (487 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 660.9
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1417.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.4 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 17.1 g