1/2 Photos of Bisteeya or Moroccan Chicken Pie
Recipe Baroness's Note:
This will break your mouth as they say down south. Its just fantastic if you like exotic flavors and good old fashioned chicken pot pie!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 tablespoons butter
- 3 1/2 lbs whole chickens, cut up into 4 pieces skin removed
- 1 large onion, minced
- salt and pepper
- 3 3/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup blanched almond (whole)
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3/4 lb phyllo dough
- 1In a large skillet put 2 tablespoons butter, the chicken pieces, onions, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper,2 teaspoons cinnamon, the ginger, cumin, cayenne, saffron, turmeric and chicken stock.
- 2simmer gently, covered, until the chicken is cooked, 45 minutes.
- 3remove the chicken from the sauce and let it cool.
- 4remove all the bones and tear the chicken into 1 inch pieces.
- 5bring the liquid to a simmer and add the eggs stirring gently until the eggs are cooked and most of the liquid is evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 6add the chicken, cilantro, parsley, salt and pepper and mix well.
- 7Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 8Toast the almonds in the oven until they are very lightly golden and hot to the touch, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 9Coarsely chop them in a blender or food processor and mix with 3 tablespoons sugar and 3/4 teaspoons cinnamon.
- 10set aside and reserve the rest of the cinnamon sugar for a garnish.
- 11Melt the remaining 12 tablespoons butter. brush a 12 inch pie pan with the butter.
- 12place one sheet of phyllo dough on the bottom of the pie plate so that it completely covers the bottom of the plate and extends over one side by several inches.
- 13brush the whole sheet of phyllo lightly and continue with 7 more sheets moving in a pinwheel effect, brushing butter on each sheet.
- 14spread the chicken mixture on the phyllo and sprinkle with the almond mixture.
- 15Fold the overhanging phyllo up over the chicken and almonds and brush with butter.
- 16then continue adding 7 more sheets of phyllo to the pie as your did before.
- 17tuck all the overhanging edges under the pie and brush remaining butter over top of the pie.
- 18place in 375F oven and bake until golden brown and flaky, about 20 minutes.
- 19sprinkle the garnishing cinnamon and sugar over top.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bisteeya or Moroccan Chicken Pie
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1515.7
- Calories from Fat 993
- Total Fat 110.3 g
- Saturated Fat 41.5 g
- Cholesterol 480.4 mg
- Sodium 1046.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 65.7 g