Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 hrs
DH and I fell in love with bisteeya in a Morrocan restaurant we loved. Then we moved and couldn't find another restaurant for years. I compared a few different recipes and made my own version, trying to make it a little healthier by replacing the butter with a butter flavor spray like Pam on the phyllo. It's supposed to be an appetizer but I serve it at Christmas instead of ham or turkey. It's a great entree for 8 or an appetizer for more. Traditionally you'd just dig in with your fingers. I usually prepare everything up to a day in advance but assemble it just before popping it in the oven. The 4 hour cook time includes marinating time along with the actual cooking.
- 12 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 3 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 6 eggs
- 3⁄4 lb phyllo dough
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- Place chicken thighs with onion, garlic, parsley, salt, turmeric and ginger. Toss well, rubbing chicken with the spices. Marinate 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cook chicken with the marinade, chicken broth and cinnamon sticks. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and gently simmer for 1 hour. Remove chicken from broth and set aside.
- Strain broth, and boil it on high heat about 10 minutes, until reduced to 1 3/4 to 2 cups.
- Toast almonds in the microwave for 3 minutes on high. Add powdered sugar and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- After broth is reduced, add lemon juice and gently simmer another 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium and, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, slowly stir in beaten eggs. Cook, stirring, until eggs are set but not dry. Most of the liquid should evaporate. About 8-10 minutes. Add salt if necessary, cool to room temperature.
- When chicken is cool, shred the meat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Unroll phyllo. Spray bottom and sides of a 14 inch deep dish pan with butter flavored spray. Arrange 6 sheets phyllo so that half the sheet covers the bottom of the pan and half extends over sides. Spray with butter flavored spray. Fold 4 sheets in half and let them air dry.
- Place shredded chicken on bottom of phyllo in pan. Cover with egg mixture then the 4 dry phyllo sheets. Sprinkle almond/sugar mixture over pastry. Cover with all but 2 remaining pastry leaves. Spraying each with butter flavored spray. Fold the overlapping leaves over the top and spray with butter flavored spray.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Dust top with cinnamon and powdered sugar before serving.
great recipe I loved it
I cut the recipe down to 6 people. The 2 1/4 teas of salt....NO WAY! It was soooo salty we had to through it away. That is way too much salt. 1 teas would have been sufficient.