1/2 Photos of Bistec a La Criolla ( Colombian Style Skirt Steak in Sauce)
1 hr 40 mins
This is marinated skirt steak that is cooked in sauce. In Colombia this is eaten by many families every week (my husband had it every Wednesday). Serve it with white rice and beans, avocado, and an arepa or corn cake. The recipe makes more hogao than is needed. Just drop the leftovers into your beans!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs skirt steaks, trimmed and cut into 4 equal portions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for cooking)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1Place steaks between wax paper and pound with a mallet to 1/4 inch thickness; set aside.
- 2In a large resealable plastic bag, combine oil, mustard, cumin, garlic, cilantro, and salt and pepper; add steaks, seal (squeezing out as much air as possible), and work marinade over all sides of the meat.
- 3Refrigerate to marinate at least one hour, up to overnight.
- 4Meanwhile, prepare the hogao; heat oil in a skillet over medium low heat, add tomatoes, green onions, garlic, ground cumin and cook until tomatoes soften, about 15 or 20 minutes.
- 5Reduce heat to low and add in salt and pepper to taste and cilantro, cook until tomatoes break down, about 10 minutes more; remove from heat.
- 6Heat a large skillet, over medium heat; add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- 7Place steaks into skillet and cook 3 minutes per side.
- 8Add 1 1/2 cups hogao, cover and cook for 7 minutes more; serve.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bistec a La Criolla ( Colombian Style Skirt Steak in Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.8
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 100.3 mg
- Sodium 310.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 47.4 g