Recipe by Gingerbee
This came from the side of a Bisquick box, but I must admit it is about 30 yrs. old or better. My grandmother used to make this cake often because it was fast and my grandfather loved coconut. It is really "velvety" in texture and you'll love this too! This recipe is still seen on boxes of Bisquick called Velvet Crumb Cake ... after all these years, it must be good to others beside me!
Top Review by Switzerland
I noticed this recipe well worth praise has not had any comments posted for several years... I found it truly excellent! The only thing I will change is double the cake recipe as it rendered too little. Bravo, this oldie is easy and delicious!! I used half pecans and half almonds for the topping and Splenda in place of sugar, fine!
- 1 1⁄2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening (butter or margarine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour a 8"x8"x2" square cake pan or 9" x 1-1/2" round pan.
- Beat all ingredients (except topping) on low speed, scraping bowl constantly 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed, 4 minutes.
- Pour into pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick in center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly and spread topping.
- FOR TOPPING: In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together by hand and set aside until cake is cooked and cooled slightly.
- Set oven control to broil.
- Broil about 3 inches from the heat until topping is golden brown about 3 minutes.