Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a lower fat version, and so easy to make.
- 12 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup shredded 2% cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup Bisquick reduced-fat baking mix
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray 9 x 1 1/4 inch pie plate, or 8x8x2 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Brown sausage, green pepper and onion in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink. Drain.
- Mix sausage mixture, potatoes, and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Spread in pie plate.
- Stir remaining ingredients in medium bowl with wire whisk or fork, until blended. Pour into pie plate.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake 1 to 2 minutes longer, or just until the cheese is melted.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with salsa and/or sour cream.
- Note: For more servings, double all ingredients, use a 13x9x2 baking dish, and bake 35 to 40 minutes.
Excellent casserole! I made it Christmas morning and we loved it. I liked the fact that it is a smaller amount than most breakfast casseroles, that it is lower in fat and calories and it tastes great. I cooked the meat, onions and green peppers the night before so all I had to do was put it together, fix the dough part and bake. This is a keeper! Carole in Orlando