Recipe by Olha
New Orleans is one of the few places you can find this Italian sandwich. It is traditionally made with a large loaf of crusty round Italian bread and cut into wedges to serve.
- 3 cups biscuit mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
TO TOP BREAD
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (16 ounce) jardiced pickled vegetables, drained (see Tips)
- 1⁄2 cup diced pitted green olives
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces thinly sliced dry salami
- 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked ham
- 4 ounces thinly sliced swiss cheese
- 4 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 13 by 9 inch baking pan, greased.
- BREAD: In a large bowl, blend biscuit mix, milk and eggs. As it comes together, it will be a little wet. Place in prepared baking pan. Spread dough to edges of pan. Sprinkle oil over top. Sprinkle with tarragon and salt. Bake in center of preheated oven until crust is light brown, 25 to 32 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Cut into 4 squares, then cut each square horizontally. Let cool completely.
- FILLING: In a medium bowl, combine pickled vegetables, olives, garlic and oil. Toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Smash mixture with a fork. Place sliced meats and cheeses on bottom slices of bread. Spoon olive salad over top. Cover with remaining bread slices and wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 2 hours for the flavors to develop, or overnight.
- Serves 4.
- TIPS: Make the olive salad a few days prior and store in a covered container in the refrigerator so that the flavors develop.
- Pickled vegetables can be found in most supermarkets in the aisle where pickles and relishes are stocked.
- VARIATION: Try different meats, such as smoked turkey, or different cheeses, such as pepper, Monterey Jack or Edam.
- 125 Best biscuit Mix Recipes.