Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Irish or not, try this delicious dinner-in-a-dish with parsley dumplings up top.
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium potato, pared and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tablespoons Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄4 cup water
FOR THE DUMPLINGS
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄4 cup snipped parsley
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Melt shortening in large skillet; brown meat well.
- Spoon off drippings.
- Add 4 cups water, the salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and cook about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in carrots, onion and potato; cook 20 minutes longer.
- Stir in peas.
- Blend 2 Tablespoons baking mix and 1/4 cup water; stir into stew.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils.
- FOR THE DUMPLINGS:.
- Stir 2 cups baking mix, the parsley and milk to a soft dough.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto boiling stew.
- Cook UNCOVERED over low heat 10 minutes; COVER and cook 10 minutes longer.
- 6 servings.
- Betty Crocker’s Bisquick Cookbook.