Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
These corn dogs are just like the ones you remember from when you were a kid. Make a large batch and serve with a variety of prepared mustards for a dipping party.
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup biscuit mix
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 2 lbs hot dogs, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 8)
- *Preheat oven to 200°F.
- *16 cup saucepan or deep fryer.
- * Candy/deep-fry thermometer.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat about 4 inches of oil until thermometer registers 360°F.
- In a large bowl, blend biscuit mix, cornmeal, milk, egg, butter and honey to make a smooth batter. Let stand for 10 minutes. Pat wieners pieces dry. Dip wiener pieces, one at a time, into mixture, coating all sides.
- Place wiener pieces in hot oil, 4 at a time, and deep fry, turning once, until golden brown, about 15 seconds per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Transfer to an ovenproof platter and keep warm in preheated oven. Make sure oil is the correct temperature before adding each batch.
- Serves 12 for appetizers or 8 as a main dish.
- TIP: If you are using jumbo wieners, you will only need 4. Use beef or chicken dogs interchangeably.
- VARIATION: For a little bite, add 1 teaspoons hot pepper flakes to the batter prior to frying.
- 125 Best Biscuit Mix Recipes.