Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From Restaurant Sclafani in New Orleans, courtesy of owner/chef Peter Sclafani as published in the Milwaukee Sentinel January 7, 1951. Cooking time is freezing time.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water, hot
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons water, warm
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 cups heavy cream or 2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped and mixed with
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, finely chopped
- Make a syrup with the sugar and hot water; boil until the syrup is thick and spins a short thread when dropped from a spoon.
- Beat egg yolks with warm water and salt until thick and golden.
- Pour the hot syrup over the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly until fully incorporated.
- Cook in double boiler until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and cool; stir in vanilla and sherry wine.
- Stir mixture into the whipped cream.
- Pour into paper-lined muffin pan cups or chilled ramekins; sprinkle the tops with finely chopped mixed nuts.
- Place cups into freezer for about three hours.