Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
We absolutely love bison! Since it is a rare treat, we prefer simple sauces that showcase the flavor of the bison. This is perfect for a romantic dinner :)
- 4 bison steaks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Season bison steaks with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat.
- Sear steaks in oil until light brown on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- *Note: the cooking time for the bison will vary depending on the thickness of your steaks. Bison should never be cooked more than medium because otherwise it will get too tough.
- When bison is done cooking, remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Add mushrooms, butter, and garlic to meat drippings in skillet.
- Cook about 5 minutes at medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle mushroom mixture with flour and stir well to ensure that all flour is absorbed.
- Add water, white wine, and Worcestershire sauce to the skillet. Stir well to incorporate liquids into mushroom mixture.
- Top steaks with mushroom sauce and enjoy!
I loved how quick and easy this was to put together. I only deviated from this recipe a bit when I pureed the sauce, just because my DD does not like the consistency of mushrooms and will eat them only when "mushed" Thanks for sharing your recipe.