Recipe by Princess Lisa
These are really good, I've made this over and over and have not tired of it. I've made it with no salt ketchup and tomato sauce and don't notice the no salt part. This is a slightly modified recipe for beef sloppy joes from simplyrecipes. Adding it here to get the nutritional values.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground buffalo meat
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- 1 Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium high heat. Add the carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the chopped onion and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent, about 5 more minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Remove from heat. Remove vegetables from the pan to a medium sized bowl, set aside.
- 2 Heat the pan on high. Crumble the ground beef into the pan.
- 3 Return the cooked ground beef and vegetables to the pan. Add the ketchup, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and brown sugar to the pan. Stir to mix well. Add ground cloves, thyme, and cayenne pepper. Lower the heat to medium low and let simmer . Adjust seasonings to taste.