Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I am not too much of a soup maker, in fact this recipe was created from my first attempt at ever making chili. It's simple with some room open for improvement, so please post suggestions and let me know what you think of it.
- 2 lbs ground buffalo meat
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (diced)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom (optional, diced)
- 40 ounces kidney beans
- 56 ounces whole canned tomatoes
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- In a large cooking pot, sautee meat, onion, pepper, garlic and mushrooms.
- Once meat is browned, lower to medium-low heat and add tomatoes, then the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir about every 3-5 minutes, making sure to not let any of the ingredients sit at the bottom of the pot.
- After about 1 1/2- 2 hours chili should be ready to serve.
I prepared this recipe last night, using ground Bison, and it was really delicious. My DH and I enjoyed it very much. I made about 1/2 the recipe and used red, yellow, and green bells (1/2 of each). I substituted canned pinto beans (rinsed and drained) as the kidney beans are very hard for me to digest. I added cayenne pepper for a little heat and used a tablespoon of canned garlic. I also added a teaspoon of cumin. The addition of wine to the sauce was great. The recipe was not overly spicy and was perfect for our tastes. We are looking forward to leftovers tonight. Thanks, Dave Oh for such a nice and easy recipe.