1/2 Photos of Bison Burgers With Cabernet Onions and Wisconsin Cheddar
Bison (buffalo) meat is very lean and is a healthier alternative to beef. The Cabernet onions nicely complement the burgers. From Bon Appetit, February 2009.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups sliced onions (about 2)
- 3/4 cup dry red wine (such as Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1 lb ground buffalo meat (bison)
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 hamburger buns
- 6 ounces sliced wisconsin white cheddar cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (to taste)
- 1 small head escarole, leaves separated
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, sprinkle with salt, and sauté until tender and golden brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- 2Reduce heat to medium and continue to sauté until very tender and well browned, about 15 minutes longer. Add wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cool, cover, and chill.).
- 3Preheat broiler. Gently mix meat and next 3 ingredients in large bowl. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle burgers with salt and pepper; add to skillet. Cook until well browned, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- 4Open buns and arrange, cut side up, on rimmed baking sheet. Place cheese slices on bun tops. Broil until cheese melts and bottom halves are lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Spread bottom halves with mustard. Top each with a few escarole leaves, then burger. Spoon onions on top pf burgers, dividing equally. Cover with bun tops; press lightly.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bison Burgers With Cabernet Onions and Wisconsin Cheddar
Serving Size: 1 (511 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.9
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 96.9 mg
- Sodium 796.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 41.2 g