Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I got this recipe from my mother-in-law - she said it's very old, she thought she got it from a magazine in 1965. She said she'd probably add more dates and pecans the next time she made it, but I think I'll add more chocolate chips!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup sliced maraschino cherry
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate piece
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- Mix first three ingredients.
- Add nuts, fruit and chocolate and mix lightly.
- Beat eggs and sugar together and stir into first mixture.
- Line a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan with brown paper; butter paper.
- Pour in mixture.
- Bake in slow oven (325°F.) about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Turn out on rack to cool.
- Bread is best if stored, well-wrapped, for a day or two before slicing.