Recipe by mollypaul
A neat little bread recipe from the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almonds, blanched and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- confectioners' sugar, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 5 x 9" pan.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks; set aside.
- Beat yolks until light and lemon-colored; add sugar and vanilla and beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients together and stir into egg mixture.
- Add nuts and raisins.
- Fold in egg whites and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While still hot, sprinkle confectioners' sugar over the top and cut into squares.