Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I received this recipe many years ago from a Home Economics teacher. It is very good and I make it every year.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons rum or 4 tablespoons brandy
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces pitted chopped dates
- 8 ounces candied pineapple, chunks
- 8 ounces candied cherries
- 8 ounces whole almonds
- 8 ounces pecan halves
- 8 ounces whole brazil nuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Separate the eggs.
- Put the yolks in one bowl of your Kitchen Aid.
- Put the whites in another bowl.
- Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Set Aside.
- Beat yolks in the other bowl, add the rum or brandy, and sugar. Beat to combine.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder. Beat to combine.
- By hand, fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites. Be sure to incorporate and get all the dough from the bottom mixed inches.
- Add the fruit and nuts and mix well.
- Divide evenly into 4 small bread loaf pans that have been greased.
- Flatten with the spatula.
- Bake at 325 deg. for one hour.
- Let cool and wrap in foil and store in ziploc bags or freeze.