Recipe by rachaelnasser
This is a traditional Sudanese recipe which I learned from Sudanese friends. It's a great alternative to traditional cakes. The sound of the ingredients might put you off, but you have to taste it to believe how nice it is.
- 2 cups coarse semolina
- 1 1⁄2 cups caster sugar
- 500 ml natural yoghurt
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together semolina and margarine.
- Mix in yoghurt, 1 cup sugar, coconut, and baking soda.
- Pour mix into deep baking tray.
- Cook for 20 minutes at 180 degrees celcius.
- When cool dissolve 1/2 cup caster sugar in two cups boiling water and lemon juice.
- Boil until slightly thickened.
- Pour over cooled cake.
- Allow to cool.