Recipe by Silvano
This recipe came out of Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook but we did modify a little bit.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter (do not substitute)
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and cream of tartar. Cut in slightly softened but not melted butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- 2. Lightly flour hands and turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.(dough was sticky at this point) Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough just until dough holds together. Lightly roll dough until 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough with a floured 2 1/2 inch cutter.
- 3. Place biscuits 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until done.(our biscuits were brown on the bottom and firm on top) Remove from baking sheet and serve immediately.