Recipe by andypandy
These are so simple, flakey, and fast. Please note the recipe should say 3/4 cup milk to 7/8 of a cup....Since the change over its got a 1 in there. Which they yet have to correct...See also my instructions where it states i use 3/4 of a cup of milk.)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 3⁄4-7⁄8 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the salt, flour, soda, and cream of tartar all together in a bowl. Add cold butter, and rub with the palms of your hands to mash butter into flakes or long flat slivers well. There should be still flat lumps or flakes that are noticeable. Add the cold milk and just toss all with your hands until a soft dough starts to form. Just adding the amount of milk that takes you to this stage, I usually use just 3/4 cup. This depends on the flour and weather. Place on floured counter and form into a round disk about 3/4 inch thick, gently. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.Brush with some cold milk.
- Bake at 425 for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- If you would like a sweeter scone add in 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and 1/2 cup plumped raisins.
- Or a cheddar cheese biscuit before adding the milk add in 1/2 cup grated cheddar.