Prep 8 mins
Cook 22 mins
This recipe for honey cookies comes from chocolateandzucchini.com and I didn't want to misplace it (or have it disappear on me for some reason)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup spelt, flakes or 1⁄2 cup rolled grain
- 1⁄4 cup unrefined brown sugar (Rapadura)
- 2 teaspoons good quality honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch fleur de sel or 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the melted butter, spelt, sugar, honey, and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl, and mix well with a fork to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and almonds, and stir again until the mixture gathers in lumps.
- Add the milk and stir again to incorporate. The dough will be sticky. (You can prepare it a day or two in advance and keep it covered in the fridge.).
- Use two teaspoons to form walnut-sized balls of dough that you will drop on the prepared baking sheet, leaving each of them a little room to stretch their wings as they bake.
- Slip in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until puffy and just starting to brown at the edges. Let the cookies settle on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely.