Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe dates to 1750 (Farmer & Farmer). If you wish to be authentic, try this recipe with the chocolate available from period sutlers ; the chocolate is mixed with cinnamon and pepper similar to the chocolate of the eighteenth century. SOURCE FARMER & FARMER
- 2 ounces grated unsweetened chocolate (2 squares, i use mexican chocolate)
- 8 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- Beat chocolate, sugar, & yolks together until thick & creamy.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Sift flour over mixture and fold in.
- Grease muffin tins.
- Fill half full with mixture.
- Bake at 325º F for 15-20 minutes or until tops are just firm.
- Cool before serving.