Recipe by Chef Florida Janie
WARNING:You will want to lick the plate clean after tasting these biscuits and gravy! It has been a family recipes for over 110 years. I find using the fatty sausage mild or hot from Jimmy Dean works great. He has a sage sausage but I never use it. It just doesn't taste as good. Enjoy!
Top Review by HeidiSue
Excellent! I had about 1 1/2 half cups of half & half and used 2% milk to make the 3 cups. I added about a 1/4 cup of butter to the sausage because I didn't seem to have enough grease. In the end I added about 1/2 cup of water to get it to the consistency we like. I omitted the sage, we go for a more spicy sausage and gravy, so added tabasco. Thank you, great recipe!
- 1 lb sausage
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons ground sage
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry sausage in large skillet. Crumble sausage as you go.
- Add sage.
- When sausage is completely cooked, add flour a little at a time soaking up the grease from the sausage. Stir it around. DO NOT DRAIN GREASE! Depending on how lean your sausage is you may need more or less flour. More will make it thicker. If the sausage is too lean, cut back on the milk.
- Keeping burner on medium low heat, Add milk a little at a time. Constantly stirring.
- Add cream. Your gravy should be thickening. If it is too thin, add some flour and small amount of milk in a cup. Stir and add slowly until desired gravy thickness is achieved.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. The more pepper you add, the more the flavor comes out and makes your gravy a little hotter.
- Pour over fresh hot biscuits. Warning: They may lick the plate clean!