1/1 Photo of Biscuits and Rich Sausage Gravy
Wondering what to make for Mother's Day that's comforting, delicious, and good to eat at any time of day? This version of the classic Biscuits and Gravy is kicked up a notch with the addition of portabella mushrooms and swiss cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Rich Sausage Gravy
- 3/4 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 lb portabella mushroom, sliced
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, very finely-minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 8 -12 refrigerated biscuits, your favourite brand (two per person)
- finely minced parsley (optional)
- 1Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and brown sausage and mushrooms, breaking up sausage, about 6-8 minutes. Remove sausage and mushrooms with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving the drippings in the skillet. (you should have about 2 tablespoons of drippings in the skillet, discard any more than that. If you haven't got enough, supplement with a little added butter).
- 2Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onion and saute for 1-2 minutes, until translucent. Sprinkle over flour and whisk constantly until mixture begins to turn golden brown.
- 3Combine half and half with milk and worcestershire sauce. Gradually whisk milk mixture into skillet; when the mixture has thickened and is just starting to bubble, return the sausage and mushrooms to skillet. Add garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper (adjust to suit your own taste, but remember you'll be adding the swiss cheese shortly). Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in swiss cheese, until cheese has melted into sauce. (if your gravy is too thick, thin by whisking in a little more half and half or milk).
- 4Meanwhile, bake refrigerated biscuits according to instructions.
- 5To serve: Place 2 biscuits per person on a plate. Smother with rich sausage gravy. Sprinkle generously with parsley. Dig in!
- 6Enjoy with family!
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Biscuits and Rich Sausage Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 683.8
- Calories from Fat 337
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 98.0 mg
- Sodium 1568.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 33.9 g