Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a foolproof recipe. The dough can be made up in the morning and placed in the refrigerator until evening when they are ready to be rolled out and cut.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco, coconut oil or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk (I use buttermilk powder and 3/4 cup water)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Sift dry ingredients together including buttermilk powder if using.
- Cut in shortening, coconut oil or butter. Add buttermilk (or water if using powder.).
- Roll out and cut or pinch and shape biscuits.
- Bake about 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Very good!! I am so pleased with this recipe because I usually fail at making biscuits and this recipe sure turned out GREAT!! I didn't have buttermilk, so I used1 cup milk with 1 T. vinegar... thanks for posting!!
I decided to sub 1/4 c of the flour with whole wheat flour. It worked just fine and next time I'll try 1/2c. I increased the baking powder to 1T and made the butter version which resulted in a rich, fluffy biscuit everybody enjoyed.
Made these tonight on a rainy, cold, blustery eve. I upped the baking powder to a tablespoon and used vinegared milk since I didn't have buttermilk. I added the milk bit by bit and ended up not using all of it, probably due to the moisture in the air. Got lazy and made drop biscuits instead of rolling them out and they turned out marvelously. Light and fluffy and just wonderful. Will make again!