Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a foolproof recipe. The dough can be made up in the morning and placed in the refrigerator until evening when they are ready to be rolled out and cut.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco, coconut oil or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk (I use buttermilk powder and 3/4 cup water)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Sift dry ingredients together including buttermilk powder if using.
- Cut in shortening, coconut oil or butter. Add buttermilk (or water if using powder.).
- Roll out and cut or pinch and shape biscuits.
- Bake about 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Very good!! I am so pleased with this recipe because I usually fail at making biscuits and this recipe sure turned out GREAT!! I didn't have buttermilk, so I used1 cup milk with 1 T. vinegar... thanks for posting!!
I decided to sub 1/4 c of the flour with whole wheat flour. It worked just fine and next time I'll try 1/2c. I increased the baking powder to 1T and made the butter version which resulted in a rich, fluffy biscuit everybody enjoyed.
I wanted to make my mom's family recipe for chocolate gravy and didn't know we had can biscuits. I also couldn't find the other recipe I had for biscuits. It's a good thing to! I love these biscuits even better! I, like most people that wrote a review, just dropped them onto a cookie sheet instead of rolling them. They was very flaky, fell apart easily and was wonderful! I will have to bookmark this and use it from now on.