Recipe by Julie3551
This cake is the basis for many of the goodies found in a German Konditori. (This is a wonderful place filled with cakes and pastries of many kinds, a coffee shop if you will). For a quick fix split the cake into 2 or 3 layers, mix 1 tablespoon of instant coffee with 2 cups whipping cream, whip the cream and use to fill and ice the cake. (I like to sweeten the cream as well, but never had it sweetened when I was in Germany) To split the cake, try this: with a knife make a shallow cut all around the cake, lay a thread in the cut, cross the ends and pull the thread in opposite directions.
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 2⁄3 cup flour, sifted
- 2⁄3 cup cornstarch, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F Butter and flour a 8" or 9" spring form pan.
- Beat egg yolks with 2 cups sugar and lemon rind until very thick and pale.
- Sift flour and cornstarch together (and baking powder of using).
- Beat the egg whites, when they begin to thicken beat in 1 T sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks will stand.
- Add egg yolk onto egg whites, sprinkle with flour mixture and fold together with a rubber scraper gently but thoroughly.
- Turn batter int prepared pan, bake for about 1 hour, until it springs back when gently pressed with a finger.
- Cool 15 minutes in the pan then turn it out onto a rack to finish cooling.