Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe combines hot, crusty biscuits and a flavorful lemon-pepper sauce. It is great for potlucks and gifts. You can add boiled, cubed potatoes and carrots to this for a little variety.
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 gallon milk
- 12 cups cubed chicken
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups self rising flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- In a Dutch oven, sauté the onions,celery and garlic in butter. Add green onions. Stir flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the chicken,soup, lemon juice and peel,pepper and salt; heat through. Pour into two greased 13x9-inch baking dishes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine biscuit ingredients until just moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 3/4 inch thickness. With a floured 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, cut out 30 biscuits.
- Place over chicken mixture. Bake,uncovered, at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- NOTE: As a substitute for each cup of self rising flour, place 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all purpose flour to measure 1 cup.