Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
For a hearty satisfying supper, you can't beat this creamy deep dish.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium carrots, small julienne
- 2 small potatoes, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (For a spicier sauce perhaps you can add an additional teaspoon.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Heat oven to 375°F, grease 2 quart casserole.
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Add carrots, potatoes, onion, and celery.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes, add water, heat to boiling, reduce heat, simmer 10 minutes.
- Add flour and spices, stir in milk and boullion.
- Cook and stir on medium until it comes to a boil.
- Stir in chicken, pour into casserole.
- BISCUITS: Mix first 4 ingredients.
- Cut in butter until course crumbs.
- Stir in milk, drop by spoonfuls on top of casserole.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until bubbly and browned.
There was not enough liquid for it to be "creamy" so I added a bit more water before baking. The biscuit topping was good, but the chicken/vegetable part was very bland. Could benefit from some more seasoning--maybe a teaspoon of basil. — posted Nov 4, 2004 Update: I tried this recipe again exactly as written with the exception of adding 1 teaspoon rosemary. It was perfectly "saucy" and tasted wonderful. I must have misread recipe the first time I made it and didn't add enough of the water/milk called for. I'd definitely make again!
I enjoyed this recipe. I cheated and used Bisquick for the biscuits, but it came out quite tasty. Also, the recipe clearly states the use of COOKED chicken in the ingredient list.
Really good recipe, and even though I forgot to add the 1.5 c of milk, it still turned out good. The biscuits were sooo good! I used a creole seasoning instead of poultry. There were absolutely no leftovers! Will probably make again!