Recipe by Chef Regina V. Smith
These little biscuits are an interesting twist on baking powder biscuits. They are great served with a cream cheese spread and black caviar. This recipe is from the August 1989 issue of Gourmet Magazine.
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml sea salt
- 7.39 ml fresh ground black pepper (use a very coarse grind of pepper)
- 7.39 ml double-acting baking powder
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a food processor blend together the flour, sugar, salt, black pepper and the baking powder, add the wine and the oil and blend the mixture until it just forms a dough.
- Divide the dough into 24 pieces, roll each piece into a 3 inch-long log, and press the ends of each log together to form a ring.
- Arrange the rings of dough 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets and bake them in batches in the middle of the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the bottoms of the biscuits are turning golden.
- Transfer the biscuits to a rack and let them cool for 5 minutes.