Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is the delicious biscotti I make for a coffeeshop.
- 3 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2⁄3 cups almonds, sliced
- Put flour in a bowl and form a well in the center. Add the sugar, 3 eggs, both egg yolks, baking powder, salt, and vanilla to the well.
- Mix with you hands and knead until dough forms, about 5-10 minutes.
- Knead in the almonds.
- Butter and flour two extra long baking sheets.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Shape each quarter in to long logs about 2 to 2.5 inches wide, spaced at least 2 inches apart. Flour your hands to make handling the dough easier (less sticky).
- Beat the remaining egg and brush it over each of the logs.
- Bake the logs for 35 minutes at 350°F.
- Reduce heat to 325F after removing the logs.
- Slice the logs into biscotti shapes. You can make diagonal slices to be "fancy." Each biscotti should be 3/4in-1in wide. Each log should make about one dozen biscotti, but this will vary.
- Lay the sliced biscotti on their sides on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes more at 325°F.