1/2 Photos of Biscotti Chocolate 3 Layer Cake
1 hr 30 mins
Chocolate lovers delight. YUM! Faretti biscotti liqueur is what I used in this chocolate layer cake and the ganache. This liqueur is excellent with hints of citrus, nuts, and fennel. With Marcona Spanish almond that are salted. Salt and Chocolate complement each other nicely.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, fine-quality
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1 cup liqueur, Faretti biscotti
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (I used 1/2 special dark and 1/2 regular)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (Fleur de sel)
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, well-shaken
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup liqueur (for drizzling on cake)
Ganache frosting and filling
- 1Cake layers:.
- 2Preheat oven to 300°F and grease 3 - 9 inch pans. Line greased pan bottoms with rounds of wax paper and grease paper.
- 3Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee and liqueur. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- 4Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- 5In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer). Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, almond extract and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well.
- 6Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- 7Cool layers completely in pans on racks. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and pour liqueur over layers.
- 8Spread carefully preserves over all 3 layers.
- 9Cool completely. Cake layers may be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
- 11Finely chop chocolate. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan bring cream, and sugar to a boil over moderately low heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted. Cut butter into pieces and add to frosting, whisking until smooth. Mix in the liqueur.
- 12Transfer frosting to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally, until spreadable (depending on chocolate used, it may be necessary to chill frosting to spreadable consistency). I found that stirring this over a bowl of ice water did a great job of cooling it off quickly and evenly.
- 13Spread frosting between cake layers and over top and sides. Decorate with almond slices. Cake keeps, covered and chilled, 3 days. Bring cake to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Biscotti Chocolate 3 Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 924.0
- Calories from Fat 414
- Total Fat 46.0 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 76.2 mg
- Sodium 385.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 47.2 g
- Protein 12.2 g