1/1 Photo of Bisabuelita's Crock Pot Refried Beans (Vegetarian)
This is the modern, vegetarian version of my Great-Grandma's refried beans' recipe. Real butter replaces bacon fat (manteca). I hope you enjoy these beans!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb pink beans (pinto beans or black beans can be substituted)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup onion, plus
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely minced
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, scant
- 1 1/2 tablespoons real butter
- salt, to taste
- oil, for frying
- 1Soak beans at least 4 hours or up to 12 hours in plenty of water. (I soak the beans in the crock pot.).
- 2Add to the beans one of the garlic cloves, finely minced, 2 tablespoons of the onion, bay leaf and a dash of black pepper.
- 3Cover and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours (or until beans start to boil) then cook on LOW for approximately 5-6 additional hours. Or cook on LOW all day for about 9-10 hours.
- 4Once cooking time has commenced, check to see if beans are soft. DO NOT drain!
- 5Heat a cast iron skillet* on medium heat and saute the onion, other garlic clove, cumin powder, and oregano in a little bit of oil. With a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked beans to the skillet and begin by mashing using a potato masher. Add some reserved cooking liquid to help mash; mashing to desired consistency. (I puree most of the beans as we like our beans on the soupy side.).
- 6Once the beans are mashed to your liking, stir in the liquid smoke and butter, and about 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring constantly until butter is melted. Taste and adjust all seasonings. You will probably need more salt.
- 7Serve and garnish each serving with a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese and some green onion slices.
- 8Save about 2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid for reheating the refried beans. DO NOT use water to rehydrate!
- 9*Cast iron will alter the color of the beans. This does NOT effect the taste.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bisabuelita's Crock Pot Refried Beans (Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.0
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 53.7 mg
- Sodium 325.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 7.3 g