Chef #545970's Note:
From Tosca Reno's book the Eat Clean Diet for family and kids. For frosting: start with 1/2 c of confectioners sugar but you may need to add more - this will depend on how much water has drained from your yogurt and how stiff it is. You can adjust accordingly. This will not be the sickeningly sweet frosting you normally expect from a conventional birthday cake or cupcake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup egg whites or 5 large egg whites
- 2 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice or 2 1/4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or 1/2 cup gluten-free flour or 1/2 cup power flour
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup cooked pureed sweet carrot
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1Preparation for cake:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F Line a muffin tin with liners. In a large bowl combine egg whites, lemon juice or vinegar and sea salt.
- 3Beat whites at high speed until stiff peaks form. This will take a few minutes- about 4 or 5. When you have finished you should have doubled the volume.
- 4Fold the egg whites and the rest of the ingredients together so everything is just combined. Don't over mix or you will lose the volume in your egg whites. Fill muffin cups with batter.
- 5Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Check about 15 minutes into baking to check their progress. The muffins should be golden brown, not dark.
- 6Remove from heat and let cool on wire rack.
- 7Method for Frosting:.
- 8Mix all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Frost cupcakes and refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Birthday Cupcakes (Clean Eating)
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 46.8
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 112.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: