12 hrs 20 mins
Hmmm...what to do with leftover birthday cake that's getting stale? Use it to make French toast! This is one of those either you love it or hate it recipes. It was sent to me in an email, and I haven't tried it yet, but it does sound interesting. Prep time is the chilling time in the refrigerator overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk or cream, and sugar until the mixture is fully combined and lightly frothy on the edges.
- 2Remove your cake from the refrigerator. It will work if you haven't chilled your cake too, but chilling it overnight keeps the frosting from melting all over when you pan fry the cake. Slice the cake into thick slices.
- 3Put 2 to 4 tablespoons of butter into your frying pan. Heat the burner to medium-high, and let the butter melt. Once it is lightly bubbling, you're ready to start frying your cake slices.
- 4Dip each cake slice in your egg mixture, coating it fully on both sides (go ahead and submerge each slice). Place the dipped slice directly in the frying pan; depending on the size of your pan, add 2 or 3 slices at one time.
- 5Let each slice fry for a minute or so, until it is lightly coming up on the sides (you can lift a side gently with a spatula to see if it is browning). Turn over and repeat on the opposite side, being sure to turn gently so that you don't let the frosting smear across the pan.
- 6Remove from the pan and transfer to a serving platter or directly to plates. Repeat with the remaining slices until you've finished them all. If desired, top with a confectioners' sugar glaze and sprinkles. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Birthday Cake French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (48 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.3
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 154.0 mg
- Sodium 83.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: