Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
"Pears, Beans and Bacon." From "The Art of German Cooking" by Betty Wason published 1967. A delicious treat (but don't eat this too often, it's not exactly healthy).
- Place pears in a pot with warm water. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer for 15 minutes.
- While pears are cooking, cook bacon in a skillet. When crispy, remove to a plate with paper towel and reserve bacon grease.
- After simmering for 15 minutes, add beans and salt.
- Drain pears and beans. Crumble bacon into pears and beans.
- Add sugar, vinegar, and 1 tbsp lemon juice to the bacon grease and pour over pears, beans, and bacon.
- Serve hot.