Recipe by Mysterygirl
We had this for breakfast during one of our stays at Birk's Gasthaus a B&B in Hermann,Missouri. It tastes wonderful and is so easy to do. It's DH's favorite breakfast casserole. It is an "overnight" breakfast casserole.
Top Review by Merlot
Another wonderful make-ahead breakfast!! Since it makes so much, I invited the next door neighbors over for brunch. Served with fruit and you have a great breakfast/brunch. Thanks again for another great dish. :-)
- 8 slices fresh bread, cubed
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb pork sausage, browned and drained
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 cups milk
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cubed bread in a greased 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Layer browned sausage over bread, sprinkle the cheese and mushrooms over the top.
- Combine the beaten eggs, dry mustard and 2 1/2 cups milk; pour over ingredients in the pan.
- Cover and refrigerate at least three hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, combine the soup and remaining 1/2 cup milk and pour over all.
- Bake in preheated 300 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.