Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My sister Rachel West's most excellent bread creation!
Birdseed Mix (available at natural food stores)
- 1 tablespoon whole oat groats
- 3 tablespoons rye flakes
- 3 tablespoons wheat flakes
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon millet seed
- 10 1⁄2 ounces water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons dry milk
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Mix Birdseed (I make several individual bags at once.) Add bread ingredients in the order suggested for your bread maker.
- Mine uses liquids and butter first, then a layer of flours, followed by the remaining dry ingredients.
- Do not allow the yeast to come into contact with the water if loaf is time delayed.
- Add Birdseed Mix last.
- Bake 1 1/2 pound loaf on Medium whole wheat cycle.