- 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and dried
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- kosher salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Pierce potatoes a few times with a fork. Place oil in a small bowl. Place salt in another small bowl (if using). Place one potato at a time into oil bowl, and roll potato around in oil.
- Shake off excess oil (and if using salt, then after shaking off excess oil, roll in salt bowl). Wrap tightly in heavy duty aluminum foil. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet so the oil will not drip down into oven. Bake for 45 minutes to one hour until a fork inserted will not lift potato off the baking sheet.
- Slice still-wrapped potatoes lengthwise with a knife; pinch open from long sides to create a 'boat' to fill with your favorite toppings.
- Notes: If baking potatoes with another item in the oven, this guide will help the adjustments. Using a meat thermometer, potatoes are done when the internal temperature reaches 210-220 degrees F. If you do not have a meat thermometer, then use this as a guide: for medium sized potatoes: 45 minutes at 450°F 60 minutes at 400°F 75 minutes at 375°F 90 minutes at 350°F.