Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Modification of Bird's Nest Pie found in Once-a-Month Cooking, removing the egg. Works very well and was a family pleaser.
- 1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti (use half)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage or 1 lb turkey sausage
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- Break spaghetti in half, and cook as directed on package until al dente; drain.
- While spaghetti is warm, combine with flax seed, 6 tablespoons water, and Parmesan chees.
- Use a spoon to press spaghetti into bottom and up sides of a well-greased, 10-inch pie plate.
- Saute onion in margarine, mix with sour cream, and spread over crust.
- At same time, brown sausage in a large skillet; drain fat.
- Stir in tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon over sour cream mixture.
- Cover dish with foil and freeze. Put cheese slices in a 1-quart bag; attach to side of dish.
- To prepare for serving, thaw pie and cheese, preheat over to 350 degrees. Bake pie, uncovered for 25 miutes. Arrange mozzarella slices on top; return pie to oven until cheese melts.