A fabulous always-requested recipe! I stongly suggest buying block cheeses and grating/shredding them fresh for the most flavorful macaroni and cheese you will ever taste. For a healthier version, try Bird's Famous Macaroni and Cheese (Lite).
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (or parm or romano mix)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni, fully cooked (large style)
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, dry mustard and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk and heavy cream, stirring continuously until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheeses (a little at a time) and mix until smooth and cheese has melted.
- In a large bowl, pour cheese mixture over macaroni, mixing well. Place mixture into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Sprinkle seasoned bread crumbs on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes.