This is a very flavorful Shepherd's Pie. It puts a new twist on an old favorite by the addition of cream cheese and a dash of ground mace, and it's super easy to make. You can use any leftover veggies such as corn, carrots, string beans, etc. My photo was made using a shallow pan, because my deep dish pan was busy at the time. :)
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 6 ounces neufchatel cheese or 6 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (divided)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, cooked (leftovers work great)
- 8 ounces light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells
- Preheat oven to 375°F Mix potatoes, cream cheese, half of the cheddar cheese, and garlic until well blended (use microwave if necessary). Set aside.
- Brown meat, onion, Italian seasoning, and ground mace in large skillet and drain. Return meat back to pan and stir in vegetables and sour cream. Heat to warm.
- Pour meat mixture into a deep 9" pie crust. Cover with potato mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and paprika. Bake for 25 minutes or till heated through.
Very tasty and very easy. The only change I will make in the future will be to eliminate the pie crust. It was really superfluous to the recipe. I will prepare this dish in a casserole instead.
Different and delicious! Loved the additions of the sour cream and cream cheese. Call me crazy but since this was seasoned with Italian seasoning I decided to try peppers, mushrooms, and fresh tomatoes as my mixed veggies and it was *really* good! Thanks for another winner 2Bleu!
This was a delicious shepherd's pie, i also ommited the mase because i had none, but it was great non-the-less. thanks for the recipe.