Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is fun to make with kids from start to finish especially when they see the birds coming to eat on something they made
- string, for hanging
- 5 -6 large pinecones (5" high)
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter (no salt, no sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening (or bacon drippings)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups bird seed
- Tie string to pine cone at bottom (narrow pointed end) cut string to desired length.
- Melt peanut butter& shortening in small saucepan.
- Add cornmeal.
- heat& stir for 3-4 min.
- until well mixed.
- Mix the birdseed into peanut butter mixture.
- using fingers put the mixture into the petals until it is full.
- chill for a few hours.
- Hang on a branch.
- Can be frozen so you always have some on hand.