Recipe by txgammi
This recipe is from Bird Watcher's Digest. I prefer using peanut butter because it doesn't melt outdoors in the summertime like grease does and birds love it! Cooking time does not include overnight refrigeration.
- 2 cups melted peanut butter or 2 cups bacon grease or 2 cups other fat
- 2 cups cornmeal or 2 cups stale dry cereal, blended into crumbs
- warm water
- 2 -3 cups wild bird seed
- raisins or nutmeats or chopped peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Slowly melt peanut butter, grease or fat over low heat.
- Add cornmeal or stale cereal crumbs.
- Slowly add enough warm water to make a stiff dough.
- Add birdseed and raisins, nut meats or chopped peanuts.
- Pack mixture into small foil pans or a large flat pan.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Cut into pieces for tying onto tree branches.