Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
As editor of a local animal shelter's newsletter, I have added one recipe per issue of various animal recipes. With this one, my cockatiel, Girly, feels like a Starbuck's patron with her very own biscotti! I draw the line at a frappuccino, though. Caffeine and chocolate are among many birdie NO-NOs! NOTE: Time does not include waiting for egg shells to dry or cooling after baking. Cooking time is PER BATCH. *Wheat grass for birds can be purchased online at http://www.naturechest.com/wheatgrass.html.
- 1 cup crumbled granola cereal or 1 cup Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 -2 tablespoon of powdered wheat grass
- 2 tablespoons of powdered eggshells
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (4 ounce) jar carrot baby food
- 1 cup of unsweetened fruit juice, using just enough to mix into firm dough
- Wash the eggshells and let dry completely.
- Grind up the eggshells using a mortar and pestal until it is a fine powder.
- Pick out any bits of shell that are not ground.
- Scoop by the spoonful and roll into balls of about ½" to ¾" diameter.
- Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven at 325° for 20-30 minute.
- Cool on a rack and keep in the refrigerator.
- Also freezes well.