A healthful alternative to hot oatmeal and a lovely breakfast on a summer's day (or any time of year!).
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice or 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (try to get the thick, greek-style)
- 1⁄8 cup currants
- 1⁄8 cup slivered toasted almond
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 granny smith apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 banana, sliced or mashed
- seasonal berries
- honey (Greek thyme honey is awesome)
- Combine the rolled oats, apple juice, yoghurt, currants, almonds, nutmeg and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir together.
- Chill overnight (or for at least two hours).
- To serve: stir in the chopped apple and banana, put into a bowl and garnish with seasonal berries and drizzle with honey.
- Suggested additions or substitutions: Seasonal berries, p, sultanas (golden raisins), dried cranberries, dried cherries, roughly chopped dried apricots or dried pears, chopped nuts of all kinds (toast first for optimum flavour).
Wonderful muesli! Didn't have any berries, so I just used a little extra apple and banana. LOVE the currants in this! Thanks for posting.
Very easy recipe and the muesli turned out great! We upped the portions to 4 servings, omitted the nutmeg and replaced the currants with raisins. Didn't need the honey in the end.
This was great Ev, I've made muesli for the first time this week with a different recipe which I will post. I tried this one today and it's fantastic. I love the cinnamon and nutmeg. I used the yogurt I had on hand which was the little Activia's, mixture of peach, strawberry and vanilla. Love the currants in this, I used orange juice and added frozen blueberries. I topped with nuts and honey and a banana and WOW... a real winner here thanks for sharing Ev!!!!