Recipe by Daydream
The recipe for this delicious muesli was published in the Australian Gourmet Traveller, in 1994, at the request of a reader who had enjoyed it at one of the Holiday Inn hotels. This is our adaptation, which we love to have as a treat on Sunday mornings. Preparation time does not include leaving the mixture overnight.
Top Review by Eirinn Ceit
This was exactly what I wanted it to be! I replaced the sugar with extra honey, and omitted the apples and sultanas. I used cinnamon and raspberries, I also added wheatgerm and ground sunflower and pumpkin seeds. It was delicious, thanks for posting!
- 709.77 ml rolled oats
- 177.44 ml fresh orange juice
- 314.66 ml milk (you can use low-fat or soy if preferred)
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml honey
- 118.29 ml plain yogurt
- 2.46 ml vanilla essence
- 59.14 ml sultana
- 118.29 ml light cream (for whipping)
- 29.58 ml slivered almonds
- 1-2 granny smith apple, peeled and grated (optional)
- ground nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)
- 236.59-473.18 ml mixed fresh fruit, peeled and diced (such as raspberries, strawberries, melon, apple, banana, grapes, Kiwi fruit, pineapple, mango)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, orange juice, milk, sugar, honey, yoghurt, vanilla essence and sultanas.
- Mix well, cover, and either refrigerate or leave in a cool place overnight.
- The next morning, whip the cream, and fold it through the muesli with the slivered almonds (and grated apple if desired).
- If the consistency is firmer than you prefer, add more milk or cream to taste.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg (optional).
- Serve with fresh fruit.